Monday, October 17, 2016

Letting the world go by …


By Hobo Hudson 

 

Letting the world go by, and that’s not all I let happen after retirement. I let my health go by, too. I retired with the idea of easing up on my responsibilities and finding a hobby to relax, but instead, my life has remained as hectic as it was. My daily routine involves eating, sleeping, supervising Dad taking care of my vegetable and fruit production and my cafeteria for birds and squirrels in the backyard, dictating outlines of my new book to Mom, enforcing the contract I have with my cat siblings to supply me with a percentage of their treats, making sure the cats perform their sentry duty on the windowsill to the front yard, and protecting Mom, Dad and my doggy brother, Wylie, on our daily walks.

So, when I started feeling out of sorts, I attributed it to stress. To make matters worse, Wylie, whom I had made partner to help me with my busy schedule a while ago, had to undergo knee surgery and has been unable to help. All the work fell on me, and never mind the vet saying fatty food had most likely caused the pancreatitis I came down with, I say it was stress. While I trust my vet with his diagnosis as long as he makes me feel better, I beg to differ with his ordering me to go on a bland, low-fat diet because the mere thought of it doesn’t make me feel good at all.

I had been healthy my whole life and never had to go to the vet except for my annual examinations and vaccinations. I also could eat whatever I wanted without suffering any ill effects. Of course, I threw up once in a while, but it was never serious and was always a one-time affair. It surely never cut down on my appetite. As far as I remember, I only had diarrhea once or twice and it cleared up the same day.

Now, I had three surgeries, but they happened later in life and were strictly age-related: a cataract surgery, which was an elective procedure, and two skin surgeries to remove tags and growths, which usually appear with old age. Maybe that should have been a warning and I should have known to rein in my passion for rich food as I got older, but it never crossed my mind.

I know something was wrong when I lost my appetite and couldn’t even stand the sight of food. I had to vomit a few times, and then the worst started, the diarrhea. I can’t recall how many times Mom or Dad went outside with me, and often, I couldn’t do anything even though I had an urge. During the whole ordeal, I never felt weak or in pain, but the diarrhea didn’t ease up, and I kept rejecting any kind of food.

Luckily, my vet found out right away that I was suffering from pancreatitis, and after having been hooked up to an IV for several hours three days in a row and having been medicated, I now feel better again. I was hoping to celebrate my recovered health with a big juicy steak, but to my great dismay, my favorite food will be off-limits for who knows how long.

Life isn’t fair. When I was a pup, I could eat steak three times a day but couldn’t afford even a smell. Now that I can afford it, I can’t eat it.

 

5 comments:

Brian's Home Blog said...

Dang pal, that pretty much stinks. We sure hope you feel better soon, even if you don't get your favorite foods.

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

We are glad you are doing better our friend. We hope your good health continues

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

We are glad you are doing better our friend. We hope your good health continues

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

We are glad you are doing better our friend. We hope your good health continues

Unknown said...

OOOh dear Hobo, we're so sorry to hear of your pancreatitis. That is indeed a terrible ordeal to have to go through. My Angel sister Penny had serious pancreatitis problems in her later life. We're glad to hear your better now and on the way to recovery even if a your desired diet is off limits for now. Lots of Love, Molly and my Mom

Books

About Hobo


This was Hobo Hudson, my doggy brother, a little terrier mix with black fur. He became famous after his first attempt at writing stories, which was an article published in the newsletter of our local animal shelter, the same shelter in which I ended up years later before Hobo and his parents adopted me. Hobo’s fame quickly spread as he made a name for himself as a business dog and an adventurer. To keep his memory alive, my doggy sister, my three kitty siblings and I, Wylie Hudson, are continuing his blog. Our mom is the blog’s editor.

Powered by Blogger.