Sunday, May 8, 2011

Doggy humor: Garden report

By Hobo Hudson

As you know, I’m allowing Dad to use a small portion of my backyard for a garden under a sharecropping agreement. I supply the land, and Dad supplies the labor, seeds and everything else necessary to yield a rich crop, and we split the produce 50/50. Since I don’t eat vegetables, and Mom doesn’t eat meat, I have worked out a trade with her. She gives me her share of the meat, and I give her my share of the vegetables.

When I made my morning inspection, I found the first of my squash was ready for picking, and so I grabbed a great big bag and “almost” filled it up. I clutched it between my teeth, raised my head and started carrying it to the house. By the time I got up the steps onto the sun deck and into the porch, I couldn’t hold the bag up any longer and had to drag it across the porch, across the living room and into the kitchen where I collapsed from exhaustion.

After recovering somewhat, I weakly yapped at Mom to come and work out a deal with me. She took the bag and put it on her scale while I proudly barked that my half should be worth a least 10 steaks. Mom shook her head and said, “Hobo, you don’t even have enough squash here to get a smell of the knife when I cut the steak.” I looked at Mom and barked, “Just let the bag lie there. It’ll get heavier.”

0 comments:

Books

About Hobo


This was Hobo Hudson, my doggy brother, a little terrier mix with black fur. He became famous after his first attempt at writing stories, which was an article published in the newsletter of our local animal shelter, the same shelter in which I ended up years later before Hobo and his parents adopted me. Hobo’s fame quickly spread as he made a name for himself as a business dog and an adventurer. To keep his memory alive, my doggy sister, my three kitty siblings and I, Wylie Hudson, are continuing his blog. Our mom is the blog’s editor.

Powered by Blogger.