Thursday, October 18, 2012

Proverbs fit for a dog

By Hobo Hudson

I was often pondering why we dogs are superior to humans. While I could always rattle down a long list of traits, character dispositions and behaviors showing humans’ deficiencies and our strengths, I never hit the keynote distinction. The enlightenment came when my kitty sister Blondie shoved a page she’d torn out of a book into my face.

“Look at this, Hobo,” she said, “how could George Bernhard Shaw have known you before you were born?”

I gazed at Blondie with my ears laid back and grabbed the paper to see what she was blabbering about. It was a proverb, and it went like this: “There is no love sincerer than the love of food.”

That was it. The answer to my question was staring in my face hidden in a kind of proverb that only humans can concoct. What pushes us dogs up the rank is our ability to love humans unconditionally and to make it our purpose in life to do so. Humans, on the other hand, always have something else that is more important than expressing pure and simple love toward each other or us dogs, at least not without a condition. Blondie didn’t get it either, and I don’t blame her because she’s a cat and doesn’t understand the mentality of a dog.

No mistake here, I sure love food. Nothing beats a nice big juicy steak, but it’s far behind my love for my mom and my dad. Even if my parents would feed me plain old dog food and cut out all my treats, making me starve, I still would shower them with all the love I have.

So, the proverb Blondie thought applied to me does not fit me or any other of the doggy race. Our proverb would go as follows: “There is no love sincerer than the love of a dog.”


    

1 comments:

Ruby Rose and the Big Little Angels 3 said...

You make a good point Hobo, after all, when a human gets hurt or even passes to the Bridge, their dogs stay with them, not eat them, unless they have streaks in their pass

Books

About Hobo


This was Hobo Hudson, my doggy brother, a little terrier mix with black fur. He became famous after his first attempt at writing stories, which was an article published in the newsletter of our local animal shelter, the same shelter in which I ended up years later before Hobo and his parents adopted me. Hobo’s fame quickly spread as he made a name for himself as a business dog and an adventurer. To keep his memory alive, my doggy sister, my three kitty siblings and I, Wylie Hudson, are continuing his blog. Our mom is the blog’s editor.

Powered by Blogger.